Cooking enough rice or pasta per person and the right way – as everybody wants to cook just the right amount of it.
Cooking time of rice: 15-20 min.
- Boil water and add salt. For every cup of rice, use 1 cup of water. Boil the water in a large saucepan with a fitting lid and add 1 tsp of salt to the water.
- Pour the rice into the boiling water.
- Stir the rice just enough to separate it.
- Cover the pot and let the rice simmer. It is important not to keep stirring the rice. Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes on low heat and then remove it from the heat and let it steam for about five minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
When it comes to measuring rice per person, you should count around 80-90 g (1/2 cup) of dry rice per person, or around 60 g (1/3 cup) per person when rice is considered a side dish or you’re preparing a lot of other dishes. Cup and a half of dry rice should be enough for a family of 4.
Portions of cooked rice are 100 g for women and 130 g for men. About 500 g of cooked rice is enough for a family of 4.
Cooking time of pasta: vary a lot – 4-15 mins.
- Use a large pot to boil about five or six quarts of water for a standard package of pasta.
- Salt the water with at least 1tbsp of salt.
- Once your water is boiling, add the pasta.
- Keep stirring the pot. Most kinds of pasta have cook times on their packages but check if it is cooked about 2 minutes before the time is up.
- Save some of the pasta water for sauces that you might use later. It breaks thick sauces perfectly because of the starch.
- Drain, add the sauce and enjoy your meal.
Portions per person are in general 75 g for dried pasta per person, 115-150 g fresh pasta per person or around 110 g for women and 140g for men for cooked pasta. Around half of pack (0.5 kg) is enough for a family of 4.